Wednesday 21 September 2011

The Chance-Escapades Volume 1

     I have a pet, we can call him a dog for argument's sake, but I do not believe he is just a dog. He is probably part Golden Retriever - somewhere in his lineage - but is mostly a mutant animal that has yet to be categorized.
     Some days he is tediously normal, acting like a puppy not quite a year old yet. He sleeps on the bathroom floor at night, and naps on a huge doggy pillow during the day when I work on my computer. He eats his overpriced kibble and gulps water like a horse, usually leaving a trail of drool-water all over the floor when he is done. When we go for walks, he wants to say hello to every passing dog, person and motorcycle, not much caring that not every dog or person is all that interested in saying hi to him, and basically ignoring the threat a motorcycle might pose to his life (or mine).
     And then there are the other days. The days that have clued me in to the fact that he is more than he appears to be. The moments when his disguise slips and I know he is not just a dog. Take for example, his ability to make food disappear and leave no trace behind. Like the time he stole 8 muffins off of a plate without making a sound and leaving the plate in the exact place it was. Or his affinity for good homemade Italian spaghetti. Most recently, a bag of 5 cheese english muffins which was on the counter at 7am, but had gone missing (plastics bag and all) by 10am.
     But he is very adept as hiding his tracks, and keeping his true identity hidden. Only I, who has lived with him for nearly a year, has any idea that he is not just a golden-retriever. I will have to continue to gather evidence, and hope that soon other people will believe me.

No comments:

Post a Comment