Sunday 16 October 2011

On being a Leafs Fan.

My early years were spent growing up in Scarborough, and although I didn't have any lasting male-influence in my life at that time, I still ended up being a Leafs fan. Feels like it was forever ago that Tie Domi and Mats Sundin were my hockey heros and CuJo had the best goalie's helmet.

Throughout high school, my love of the Leafs fell off and I barely ever watched hockey.
But three years ago I started working with a guy who was hockey obsessed. Unfortunately he was a Habs fan, a sentiment which did not rub off on me, but his adoration of hockey did. And my love of the game grew, because he helped me to understand the rules, the penalties, what made some players really good; all the stuff I had never understood when I was younger.

Between the two of us, we constantly ribbed each other over our team choices but it was all in good humour. What has been bothering me lately is the snobby, self-righteous attitude of non-Leafs fans who judge me based on my team. Its gotten to the point where when someone asks what team I like, I actually hesitate because I don't want to hear how "Leafs fans are ridiculous because the team hasn't won a Stanley Cup in how long" or "how being a Leafs fan makes me a lemming" or one of the many other judgmental comments passed on me for loving my team.

I'll be the first to admit that I'm a die hard. It takes me a while to learn all the players and if I can't watch a game I don't get too broken up about it. And yeah, the Leafs haven't won a Stanley Cup in how ever many years its been. Here's the thing, I don't care about that. I'm excited when they win, but if they lose, that's fine. I love watching them play. I went to my first game in March and they lost, and honestly, I didn't care. It was still an amazing experience and I can't wait to go back again. I don't understand the bad rap Leafs fans get for loving their team win or lose. Doesn't that make us that much more dedicated, if we love our team no matter what?

So here's to another season of Blue and White, a giant Screw You! to every person who judges me for loving my team, and a shout out to all the Leafs fan, cause you are all Awesome!


No comments:

Post a Comment