Thursday 24 November 2011

My Best Friend

In the last few years, I have come to realize the value of friendship and the people who really matter. Sometimes I write about a lot of useless stuff, because the real stuff is harder to articulate. But tonight, I feel like trying even though this particular person is so important to me that I know no blog post can ever really explain it. 

Justin and I have been friends for eight years. We met when we were both working at Pharma Plus in Brampton. He was a floater working in my store and I'm pretty sure I tripped or fell off a small stool and he saw and made some sarcastic comment and I just shot one back at him. We've been friends ever since. And in some strange lucky twist of fate, we got even closer when we both moved out of Brampton. 
Ours is the kind of friendship that is really hard to describe. Although people often think we are a couple, what makes our friendship so functional is that even though we truly adore each other, its purely platonic. We can laugh off those comments and no one gets hurt or offended. We are really different. He is a social butterfly and I am surely not. There is an 8 year age gap between us. His parents have been happily married forever and I am a commitment-phobic child of divorce. In spite of all that, he understands me better than anyone, from my sarcastic sense of humour, to knowing when I need a reality check or just a hug. He is always as happy to see me as I am to see him, and I miss him all the times in between our visits.
My last visit to Hamilton to visit made me appreciate more than ever having Justin in my life. It was the first day in what feels like forever that I was happy and calm and felt at home. He is one person who has stuck it out with me through everything, and I truly mean everything. He puts up with more crap than anyone else and he never fails to make time for me. (Even giving up a full day of Sunday football to hang out with me). He shares his wide circle of friends with me but always makes sure there is time for just the two of us. 

Some days, our friendship is what has kept me going, what has pulled me through. Justin is one of the greatest people I have ever met, and I can't even describe how lucky I am to call him my best friend. Even through the few times where we drive each other nuts or have gotten into a fight, I never worry that we won't work it out. And I think that is what makes a friendship last, and its a kind of trust that is really rare. 

When things really matter, sometimes it feels like the more we talk about it, the more we lessen its importance. But I know that he knows exactly what I'm talking about and exactly what he means to me, and that is really all that matters. 



No comments:

Post a Comment